Dog Bites in Western PA
Injury lawyers in Pittsburgh help you after an animal attack
Dogs are not always man’s best friend. Sometimes dogs attack, bite, and cause serious injury to people with whom they are both familiar and unfamiliar. In many instances, children are the unfortunate victims of dog bites. The types of injuries dogs inflict can be very serious, cause infection, lead to necessary reconstructive or plastic surgery, and result in permanent scars or disfigurements.
Dog owners are almost always responsible for the medical bills associated with the treatment provided for the injuries caused by their dogs. And in some circumstances, dog owners can be liable for other damages, such as pain and suffering, due to the injuries inflicted by their dogs.
Dog bite victims may be able to recover compensation beyond medical expenses under the following circumstances:
- The dog owner was negligent in failing to prevent the bite or attack
- The dog owner knew or had reason to know that his or her dog had a dangerous propensity to bite or attack
- The dog owner violated a state law pertaining to dogs
More information about Pennsylvania dog bite law
Follow the links below for more information on dog statutes in Pennsylvania:
- The Confinement of Dogs Statute – This states that a dog’s owner should always maintain control of the animal.
- Harboring a Dangerous Dog – An individual can be charged with harboring a dangerous dog if his or her dog attacks another person or domestic animal.
In some cases, a landlord can also be held responsible for the injuries suffered due to bites caused by the dogs of their tenants.
If you or your child is a victim of a dog bite, call Rudberg Law Offices, LLC for a free consultation.
Please remember that adults only have two years from the date of the dog bite in which to file a lawsuit and children have until two years from their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit for their injuries, but it is always best to pursue a claim as soon as possible, as it can become more difficult as time passes to gather the necessary evidence.
For additional information, you may find the following link useful:
Contact a skilled accident lawyer in Pittsburgh
If you have been injured in any type of accident caused by the careless or wrongful actions of others, call the Pittsburgh accident attorneys of Rudberg Law Offices, LLC for assistance at (412) 488-6000, (866) 306-2667, or complete our quick contact web form.