Nursing Home Abuse in Pittsburgh, PA
Senior citizens are often vulnerable to being taken advantage of, including being victims of neglect and abuse while residing in a nursing home. If you or a loved one has been abused by the staff at a nursing home, filing a lawsuit seeking compensation for your injuries not only helps you, but it also motivates other nursing homes to provide better care to their residents.
Nursing home negligence can occur anywhere and to any elderly resident. However, abuse typically occurs to individuals who are unable to complain due to physical or mental impairments. Common signs of neglect or abuse are:
- Skin ulcers or bedsores
- Unexplained bruising, scrapes or lacerations
- Fractures and broken bones
- Listlessness, unresponsiveness or emotional withdrawal
- Malnutrition or sudden, unexplained weight loss
- Injuries from physical restraints
- Unusual financial transactions
- Sexual abuse
- Poor hygiene, including smelling of urine or feces
- Injuries resulting from improper supervision
- Unexplained loss of personal items
Nursing homes are not the only place where the elderly are neglected. Assisted living centers, which include both independent living accommodations and skilled care facilities, are also commonly found to have been negligent in caring for their residents. It is important to note that assisted living centers should not accept or retain residents who require more medical care or supervision than their staff or facility can provide.
If a nursing home or assisted living center fails to monitor and care for the physical, mental, emotional or social health of your loved one, a personal injury attorney at Rudberg Law Offices, LLC can help hold the facility responsible.