Tips for Preventing Motorcycle Accidents
Riding your motorcycle out on the open road can be liberating. However, it can also be dangerous. Cyclists who are hit by a motor vehicle commonly sustain life-altering injuries. Thus, it is imperative for all motorcycle riders to take every precaution when they are on the road.
Recently, the driver of a motorcycle was killed on Squaw Run Road in Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania. It was early evening when the accident occurred. The other individual involved in the crash was injured. Due to the small and open nature of a motorcycle, cyclists sustain serious and oftentimes fatal injuries, while the driver of the car walks away from the wreck.
Most people are aware that wearing a helmet can save their lives when a motorcycle accident occurs. Below are a few other safety tips that can help even the most seasoned cyclist to stay safe:
- Wear brightly colored clothes to make you more visible to other drivers.
- Take a safety class and, if offered, learn how to drive defensively.
- If you have a passenger riding with you, he/she should also wear a helmet. Also, be sure they understand how to behave properly while riding on your bike.
- Plan your route ahead of time, especially if you are traveling roads you are not familiar with.
- Check the weather forecast for the area you will be driving in.
- Remember to inform somebody of where you are traveling and approximately what time they should expect you to arrive or check-in.
- Always be aware of other drivers. Many motorcycle versus car accidents occur because the driver of the car did not see the motorcycle.
- Never drive your motorcycle if you are under the influence of drugs or medications, or if you have been drinking alcohol.
The above tips can help keep you safe while you are enjoying riding your motorcycle. However, if you should be involved in a collision and sustained injuries, the motorcycle accident attorneys at Rudberg Law Offices, LLC are ready to help.