What Causes so Many Truck Accidents in Pittsburgh, PA?
Truck accidents are common and they have serious consequences for those involved. Even though the trucking industry is heavily regulated, commercial drivers are still prone to negligence. If you or a loved one is involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, an experienced personal injury lawyer can investigate and determine the causes of your accident and the parties liable for your injuries.
In 2011, approximately 329,000 large trucks and buses were involved in accidents. So, what causes big rig accidents? Some of the most common causes of trucking crashes are:
- Distracted driving. The technology of today can be very distracting. Talking on a cell phone or texting behind the wheel is an increasing cause of traffic accidents. Other distractions include eating, smoking, changing the radio, grooming, or any other activity that takes the driver’s focus away from driving.
- Driver fatigue. It is common for commercial drivers to work long hours. As a result, there is a risk of big rig drivers dosing while driving and causing an accident.
- Impairment of the driver. A driver that is under the influence of drugs or alcohol has impaired judgment and slower reaction times. An impaired driver behind a tractor trailer is a serious hazard on the road.
- Driver negligence. Truck drivers operate under strict deadlines. As a result, a commercial driver may drive aggressively, speed, make improper lane changes or tailgate causing a wreck.
- Mechanical defect. Large trucks are driven hard and, if not properly maintained, equipment malfunctions can cause unsafe conditions. Worn tires, faulty brakes or other mechanical failures can result in an accident.
A skilled commercial truck accident lawyer can help determine the exact cause of your wreck. Evidence such as accident reconstruction, truck driver’s logbooks, witness accounts and police reports help you build a strong case against a negligent driver, trucking company or other potentially liable parties.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, seek help from a knowledgeable truck accident attorney at Rudberg Law Offices, LLC.