Wrongful Death in Western PA
Pittsburgh attorneys guiding families through the difficult process of filing a claim
The wrongful death litigation attorneys of the Rudberg Law Offices, LLC in Pittsburgh have the knowledge, skills and compassion to represent family members on wrongful or accidental death cases.
Losing a loved one is the most painful experience a person will ever have to deal with in his or her life. Losing a loved one due to the negligence or fault of another person or corporation can be even more unimaginable. The law allows a spouse, child or parent to recover compensation for the death of a loved one due to the negligence of another. The act or omission to act by a person or corporation that leads to the death of a loved one is known as wrongful death.
While we understand that money cannot make everything all right or replace your loved one, money can help with the needs of those left behind. There are many things that a surviving spouse, child, or parent can recover compensation for via a wrongful death claim, such as:
- Unpaid medical expenses
- Reimbursement of paid medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Property damage
- Loss of future earnings by the loved one
- Pain and suffering endured by the loved one prior to his or her death
- Emotional distress and any loss of consortium or parenting suffered by the survivors
There are many instances in which the actions or inactions of a person or corporation results in the death of an individual, which permit the filing of a wrongful death claim. Here are some examples:
- A person causes a car accident
- A corporation manufactures a product that is defective
- A physician or other healthcare professional commits medical malpractice
- A corporation manufactures a product that is harmful to an individual and exposure to that product causes a fatal disease
- A local municipality or the state transportation department fails to properly maintain a road that causes an individual to lose control of his or her car, causing an accident
As in all cases where an individual is injured, there is a specific amount of time in which a lawsuit must be filed or it is forever barred from being filed. In a wrongful death action, a lawsuit must be filed within two years of the date of the personal injury that causes the wrongful death.
There is also an insurance option called Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance that provides benefits to the family of the deceased. In order to receive these benefits, the death must have occurred one year or less from the time of the accident and must be a direct result of the injuries sustained from that accident.
Contact a skilled wrongful death lawyer in Pittsburgh
If you have been injured in any type of accident caused by the careless or wrongful actions of others, call the Pittsburgh accident attorneys of Rudberg Law Offices, LLC for assistance at 412-488-6000, 1-866-306-2667, or complete our quick contact web form.